Positive and Negative Politeness in Refusals in Three American Drama Movies


Arie Charismawati(1*)

(1) Universitas Gadjah Mada
(*) Corresponding Author


This research paper attempts to investigate positive and negative politeness of refusal in three American drama movies. In particular, it attempts to identify and classify the positive and negative politeness strategies used to express refusal in the movies. The data used in this research were dialogues containing refusal expressed by the use  of positive and negative politeness strategies proposed by Brown and Levinson (1987). Based on the data analysis, 73 refusal utterances were found: 31 utterances (42.5%) were found in Legally Blonde, 22 utterances (30.1%) in Yes Man, and 20 utterances (27.4%) in He’s Not That Just into You. From 73 refusals found, out of 32 (43.8%) were expressed using positive politeness strategy, and remaining 41 (56.2%) refusals were expressed using negative politeness strategy. It was found in this research that positive politeness strategy 13 give (or ask for) reason is considered as the most commonly used positive politeness strategy in the movies.  This strategy was used 7 times (21.8%). Meanwhile, in negative politeness strategy, strategy 1 be conventionally indirect appears as the most frequently strategy used in giving refusal in the movies. This strategy was used 18 times (43.9%).


refusal; politeness; positive and negative politeness

Full Text:



Austin, John. 1962. How to Do Things with Words.Oxford:OxfordUniversity Press.

Brown, Penelope and Stephen C. Levinson. 1987. Politeness: Some Universals in Language Usage. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Cutting, Joan. 2002. Pragmatics and Discourse: A Resource Book for Students.New York: Routledge.

Cintas, Jorge Diaz et.al. 2007. Media For All: Subtitling for the Deaf, Audio Description, and Sign Language.Amsterdam: Rodopi.

Gartside, L. 1986. Modern Business Correspondent.Jakarta: Bimaputra Aksara.

Gass, Susan, & Noel Houck. 1999. Interlanguage Refusals: A Cross-Cultural Study of Japanese-English.New York: Mouton de Gruyter.

Leech, G. 1983. Principles of Pragmatics.London: Longman Group Limited.

Liu, Si. 2004. Pragmatic Strategies and Power Relations in Disagreement: Chinese Culture in Higher Education. Florida: Universal Publisher

Mey, Jacob. L. 1994. Pragmatics:An Introduction.Oxford: Blackwell.

Nadar, FX. 2000. Pragmatic Study on Refusals in English by Indonesian-Javanese Learners.GadjahMadaUniversity. Unpublished Research Report.

_____. 2009. Pragmatik & Penelitian Pragmatik.Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu.

Nadar, FX et.al. 2005. “Penolakan dalam Bahasa Inggris dan Bahasa Indonesia”. Humaniora 17 pp. 166-178.

Rahmatika. 2013. Refusals as Used in Drama Movies in English. Universitas Gadjah Mada. Unpublished Graduating Paper.

Rizqiyah. Thaliatur. 2008. Strategies of Refusal to Requests by Englsih Department Students of State University of Malang. Universitas Negeri MalangUnpublished Graduating Paper.

Searle, John. 1969. Speech Acts: An Essay in the Philosophy of Language.Cambridge:CambridgeUniversity Press.

_____. 1976. A Classification of Illocutionary Acts, Language in Society 5 pp. 1–24.

Sifianou, Maria. 1992. Politeness Phenomena in England and Greece : A Cross Cultural Perspectives. Oxford:OxfordUniversity Press.

Subscene. 2013. He’s Not That Just into You: New Line Cinema. Accessed on July 28 2013 (http://subscene.com/subtitles/hes-just-not-that-into you/english/749116).

_____. 2013. Legally Blonde: Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Accessed on July 28

2013 (http://subscene.com/subtitles/legally-blonde/english/891854)

_____. 2013. Yes Man: Warner Bross Picture. Accessed on July 28 2013 (http://subscene.com/subtitles/yes-man/english/528857).

Vanderveken, Daniel. 1990. Meaning and Speech Act. Vol.1.Cambridge:CambridgeUniversity Press.

_____. 2001. Essays in Speech Act Theory. Edited by Susumu Kubo.Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.

Yule, George. 1996. Pragmatics.Oxford:OxfordUniversity Press.

DOI: https://doi.org/10.22146/lexicon.v2i2.42197

Article Metrics

Abstract views : 2569 | views : 5298


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2013 Arie Charismawati

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Lexicon Office

English Department
Faculty of Cultural Sciences,
Universitas Gadjah Mada
Soegondo Building, 3rd Floor, Room 306
Yogyakarta, Indonesia 55281
Telephone: +62 274 513096
Email: lexicon.fib@ugm.ac.id

ISSN: 2746-2668 (Online)

Web Analytics View Stats

Creative Commons License
LEXICON is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Lexicon is indexed in


About UsSubmissionIssuePoliciesReview