Upon acceptance of an article, authors transfer copyright to the JIEB as part of a journal publishing agreement, but authors still have the right to share their article for personal use, internal institutional use, and for any use permitted under the CC BY-SA license
Articles are freely available to the public without any subscription with permitted reuse. For open access articles, permitted third party (re)use is defined by the following Creative Commons user licenses: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA).
The Impact of Directive Leadership on Innovative Work Behavior: The Mediation Role of Continuance Commitment
Corresponding Author(s) : Dhyah Mutmainnah
Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business,
Vol 37 No 3 (2022): September
Introduction/Main Objectives: The aim of this study is to test the effect of directive leadership and continuance commitment on innovative work behavior while also explaining the mediating role of continuance commitment and the effect of directive leadership on innovative work behavior. Background Problems: Managing innovative employee behavior is an integral component of sustainable organizational development. Innovative work behavior (IWB) is very important for improving organizational performance. Many studies have identified the antecedent factors of IWB. Novelty: The novelty of this research is finding a new concept of innovative work behavior, through the combination of the mediation construct of continuance commitment, further established under the terms of "The Improvement Model of Innovative Work Behavior based on Directive Leadership through Integration Strategy by Continuance Commitment." Research Methods: This research’s design is hypothesis testing research and the type of research design it uses is survey research (non-experimental). This study uses the indicators from only one dimension of leadership and one organizational commitment category, so there are some empirical gaps between this and the results of previous studies. The sample in this study was 120 civil servants from PPPPTK TK and PLB Bandung. In assessing the empirical model this study used partial least square structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) analysis. Finding/ Results: The results of this study show that directive leadership has a positive and significant impact on continuance commitment, and continuance commitment has a positive and significant influence on innovative work behavior. The effect of directed leadership on innovative work behavior is fully mediated by the continuance commitment, which is positively associated with innovative work behavior, but it is not significant. The influence of directive leadership on innovative work behavior is more favorable and significant as a result of the continuance commitment. Conclusion: This study concludes that directing leadership has an indirect effect on innovative work behavior through the mediating variable of continuance commitment, implying that directive leadership might indirectly promote innovative behavior through the continuance commitment. The assumption is that if a leader is effective at directing staff, there will be an increase in employees’ continuance commitment, and if commitment improves, there will be an increase in innovative work behavior.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abdullah, Nor Hazana, et.al. (2015). Organi-zational commitment as a mediator between leadership and innovative behavior. Advanced Science Letters, Volume 21, Number 5, May 2015, pp. 1550-1552(3). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1166/asl.2015.6098
- Adi, M.P.H. & Sukmawati, A. (2020). The effect of levers of control and leadership style on creativity. Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business. Vol. 35 (3). 236-256.
- Afsar, B., & Umrani, W. A. (2019). Transfor-mational Leadership and Innovative Work Behavior: The Role of Motivation to Learn, Task Complexity and Innovation Climate. European Journal of Innovation Mana¬gement, 23(3), 402–428. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJIM-12-2018-0257
- Al-alak, B., & Tarabieh, A. (2011). Gaining competitive & organizational performance through customer orientation, innovation differentiation and market differentiation. International Journal of Economics and Management Science, 1(5), 80–91.
- Al-Husseini, S., & Elbeltagi, I. (2016). Transformational leadership and innovation: a comparison study between Iraq’s public and private higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 41(1), 159–181. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2014.927848
- Allen, Natalie J., and John P. Meyer. (1990). The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment to the organization. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63(1), 1–18. doi:10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- Asbari, M., Santoso, P. B., & Purwanto, A. (2019). Pengaruh kepemimpinan dan budaya organisasi terhadap perilaku kerja inovatif pada industri 4.0. JIM UPB, 8(1), 7–15. https://doi.org/10.33884/jimupb.v8i1.1562
- Astuti, E., & Khoirunnisa, R. M. (2018). Pengaruh employee engagement, komitmen organisasi, dan kepemimpinan transfor¬masional terhadap kesiapan untuk berubah (readiness for change) pada karyawan Universitas Ahmad Dahlan. JURNAL FOKUS, 8(1), 47– 66
- Berraies, S., & Zine El Abidine, S. (2019). Do leadership styles promote ambidextrous innovation? Case of knowledge-intensive firms. Journal of Knowledge Management, 23(5), 836–859. https://doi.org/10.1108/JKM-09-2018-0566
- Daft, Richard L. (2015). The Leadership Experience. 6th Edition. Stamford: Cengage Learning.
- De Jong, J., & Den Hartog, D. (2010). Measuring innovative work behaviour. Creativity and Innovation Management, 19(1), 23–36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8691.2010.00547.x
- De Jong, J., & Den Hartog, D. N. (2007). How leaders influence employees’ innovative behaviour. European Journal of Innovation Management, 10(1), 41–64. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601060710720546
- Etikariena, A. (2020). Peran gaya kepemimpinan pada perilaku kerja inovatif karyawan pada organisasi berbasis teknologi digital. Jurnal Ecopsy, 7(1), 48–63. https://doi.org/10.20527/ecopsy.v7i1.8426
- Fatima, T., Majeed, M., & Saeed, I. (2017). Does participative leadership promote innovative work behavior: the moderated mediation model. Business & Economic Review, 9 (4), 139-156.
- Hadi, T. P. et.al. (2019). The Effect of Transformational Leadership and Work Motivation on Innovative Behavior. 3(2), 100–108.
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2017). A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM). (2nd Ed.). Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Hakimian, F., Farid, H., Ismail, M.N. and Nair, P.K. (2016). Importance of commitment in encouraging employees’ innovative beha¬vior. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 8 No. 1, pp. 70-83. https://doi.org/10.1108/APJBA-06-2015-0054
- Hou, B. et. al. (2019). Paternalistic leadership and innovation: the moderating effect of environmental dynamism. European Journal of Innovation Management, 22(3). https://doi.org/10.1108/EJIM-07-2018-0141
- Hughes, D. J., Lee, A., Tian, A. W., Newman, A., & Legood, A. (2018). Leadership, creativity, and innovation: a critical review and practical recommendations. Leadership Quarterly, 29(5), 549–569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2018.03.001
- Ilyana, S. & Sholihin, M. (2021). The effect of incentives and leadership style on creative performance. Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business. Vol. 36 (1). 14-30.
- Janssen, O. (2000). Job demands, perceptions of effort-reward fairness and innovative behavior. Journal of Occupational and Organisational Psychology, 73,287-302.
- Janssen, O. (2005). The joint impact of perceived influence and supervisor supportiveness on employee innovative behaviour. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 78(4), 573–579. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317905X25823
- Karim, A., et.al. (2020). A charismatic relationship: how a kyai’s charismatic leadership and society’s compliance are constructed? Journal of Indonesian Eco-nomy and Business. Vol. 35 (2). 129-143.
- Katsaros, K. K., Tsirikas, A. N., & Kosta, G. C. (2020). The impact of leadership on firm financial performance: the mediating role of employees’ readiness to change. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 41(3), 333–347. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.110 8/LODJ-02-2019-0088
- Khasanah, I. F. N., & Himam, F. (2019). Kepemimpinan transformasional kepriba-dian proaktif dan desain kerja sebagai prediktor perilaku kerja inovatif. Gadjah Mada Journal of Psychology (GamaJoP), 4(2), 143. https://doi.org/10.22146/gamajop.46361
- Kim, H., & Gong, Y. (2016). Effects of work – family and family – work conflicts on flexible work arrangements demand : a gender role perspective. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2016.1164217
- Kurniawan, D.T., et.al. (2021). Exploring the existence of innovative work behavior among government employee: have been there? Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business. Vol. 36 (3). 272-282.
- Lam, C. K., Huang X., Chan S. C. H. (2015). The threshold effect of participative leadership and the role of leader information sharing. Acad. Manage. J. 58 836–855. 10.5465/amj.2013.0427
- Li, Hui, et.al. (2019). Influence of trans-formational leadership on employees’ innovative work behavior in sustainable organizations: test of mediation and moderation processes. Sustainability Journal, 11, 1594; doi:10.3390/su11061594
- Li, G., Liu H., Luo Y. (2018). Directive versus participative leadership: dispositional antecedents and team consequences. J. Occup. Organ. Psychol. 91 645–664. 10.1111/joop.12213
- Liu, C., & Niu, T. (2020). Like-minded cooperators—the research on the relation-ship between the CEO transformational leadership and the innovation behavior of designer. Journal of Service Science and Management, 13(03), 567–593. https://doi.org/10.4236/jssm.2020.133037
- Lonati, S. (2020). What explains cultural differences in leadership styles? on the agricultural origins of participative and directive leadership. Leadersh. Q. 31:101305. 10.1016/j.leaqua.2019.07.003
- Lorinkova, N. M., Pearsall M. J., Matthew J. (2013). Examining the differential longitudinal performance of directive versus empowering leadership in teams. Acad. Manage. J. 56 573–596. 10.5465/amj.2011.0132
- Løvaas, B. J., Jungert, T., Van den Broeck, A., & Haug, H. (2020). Does managers’ moti¬vation matter? Exploring the associations between motivation, transformational leadership, and innovation in a religious organization. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 30(4), 569–589. https://doi.org/10.1002/nml.21405
- Ma, X., & Jiang, W. (2018). Transformational leadership, transactional leadership, and employee creativity in entrepreneurial firms. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 54(3), 302–324. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021886318764346
- Masood, M., & Afsar, B. (2017). Transformational leadership and innovative work behavior among nursing staff. Nursing Inquiry, 24(4). https://doi.org/10.1111/nin.12188
- McDaniel, C. dan Gates, R. (2013). Riset Pemasaran Kontemporer (Sumiyarto dan Rambat Lupiyoadi, Penerjamah). Jakarta: Salemba Empat.
- McKelvey, B., & Pfeffer, J. (1984). Organi-zations and organization theory. Adminis-trative Science Quarterly, 29(4), 640. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392948
- McShane, S., & Von Glinow, M. A. (2015). Organizational Behavior: Emerging Knowledge and Practice for The Real World (Fifth Ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Mehta, et.al. (2003). Leadership style, motivation and performance in international marketing channels: an empirical investigation of the USA, Finland and Poland. European Journal of Marketing 37(1/2):50-85. DOI: 10.1108/03090560310453939
- Meyer, John P., and Natalie J. Allen. (1997). Commitment in the Workplace: Theory, Research and Application. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.
- Mwesigwa, R., Tusiime, I., & Ssekiziyivu, B. (2020). Leadership styles, job satisfaction and organizational commitment among academic staff in public universities. Journal of Management Development, 39(2), 253-268. DOI 10.1108/JMD-02-2018-0055
- Nurhayati, B.D., Kusmantini, T., & Wahyuningsih, T. (2021). Antecedents and implications of innovation capability: empirical study of bakpia MSMES in Yogyakarta. Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business. Vol. 36 (2). 179-203.
- Purwanto, A., Asbari, M., Prameswari, M., Ramdan, M., & Setiawan, S. (2020). Dampak kepemimpinan, budaya organisasi dan perilaku kerja inovatif terhadap kinerja pegawai puskesmas. Jurnal Ilmu Kesehatan Masyarakat, 9(01), 19–27. https://doi.org/10.33221/jikm.v9i01.473
- Robbins, Stephen P. and Timothy A. Judge. (2015). Perilaku Organisasi. (Edisi 16). (Terjemahan). Jakarta: Salemba Empat.
- Saether, E. A. (2019). Motivational antecedents to high-tech R&D employees’ innovative work behavior: Self-determined motivation, person-organization fit, organization support of creativity, and pay justice. Journal of High Technology Management Research, 30(2), 100350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2019.100350
- Scott, S. G., & Bruce, R. A. (1994). Determinants of innovative behavior: a path model of individual innovation in the workplace. Academy of Management Journal, 37(03), 580–607. https://doi.org/10.5860/choice.32-1325
- Sethibe, T., & Steyn, R. (2017). The impact of leadership styles and the components of leadership styles on innovative behavior. International Journal of Innovation Management, 21(2). https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363919617500153
- Sethibe, T., & Steyn, R. (2018). The mediating effect of organizational climate on the relationship between leadership styles and their components on innovative behavior. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Emerging Economies, 4(1), 22–32. https://doi.org/10.1177/2393957517747313
- Silverthorne, Colin. (2001). Leadership effec-tiveness and personality: A cross cultural evaluation. Personality and Individual Differences, 30(2), 303-309. DOI: 10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00047-7
- Styhre, Alexander. (2007). The Innovative Bureaucracy: Bureaucracy in an Age of Fluidity. New York: Routledge.
- Su, W., Lyu, B., Chen, H., & Zhang, Y. (2020). How does servant leadership influence employees’ service innovative behavior? the roles of intrinsic motivation and identification with the leader. Baltic Journal of Management, 15(15), 571–586. https://doi.org/10.1108/BJM-09-2019-0335
- Van der Vegt, G. S., & Janssen, O. (2003). Joint impact of interdependence and group diversity on innovation. Journal of Management, 29(5), 729–751. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(03)00033-3
- Widmann, A., & Mulder, R. H. (2018). Team learning behaviors and innovative work behavior in work teams. European Journal of Innovation Management, 21(3), 501-520.
- Zeng, J., & Xu, G. (2020). How servant leadership motivates innovative behavior: a moderated mediation model. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(13), 1–14. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17134753