This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Upon acceptance of an article, authors transfer copyright to the JIEB as part of a journal publishing agreement, but authors still have the right to share their article for personal use, internal institutional use, and for any use permitted under the CC BY-SA license
Articles are freely available to the public without any subscription with permitted reuse. For open access articles, permitted third party (re)use is defined by the following Creative Commons user licenses: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA).
Examining the Role of Social Media Marketing on Brand Love and Its Impact on Brand Centrality: The Study of Local Fashion Brands for the Millennials
Corresponding Author(s) : Iin Mayasari
Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business,
Vol 38 No 2 (2023): May
Purpose: Local fashion brands are an important issue for millennial consumers. To create their love of local fashion brands, social media marketing is necessary. The study also examines brand love's effects on local fashion brands' centrality. This study also investigates brand love and centrality’s impact on the repurchase intention. Design/ Methodology/Approach: The data were taken using survey methods with questionnaires developed by previous researchers. A partial least squares regression was used to test the hypotheses. Findings: This study shows that social media marketing can create conditions for consumers to develop brand love, but brand love still needs to be able to develop brand centrality. This study also shows that although brand love has yet to create brand centrality, the concept of brand love can influence the repurchase intention. At the same time, brand centrality also affects the repurchase intention. Originality/value: This is the first study analyzing millennials’ brand love toward fashion clothing brands and the analysis of the influence of social media marketing on brand love and its impact on brand centrality.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abdelwahab, D., Jiménez, N., San-Martín, S., & Prodanova, J. (2020). Between love and boycott: A story of dual origin brands. Spanish Journal of Marketing ESIC, 24 (3), 377-402.
- Adhikari, K. & Panda, R. K. (2020). Evaluation of brand relationship quality using a formative index: a novel measurement approach. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 29(4), 505–516.
- Ahuvia, A. C., Batra, R., & Bagozzi, R. P. (2008). Brand love: towards an integrative model. in Lee, A.Y. and Soman, D. (Eds), Advances in Consumer Research, Associa¬tion for Consumer Research, Duluth, MN, 35, 176-180.
- Albert, N. & Merunka, D. (2013). The role of brand love in consumer-brand relationships. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 30 (3), 258-266.
- Amegbe, H., Dzandu, M. D., & Hanu, C. (2021). The role of brand love on bank customers’ perceptions of corporate social responsibi¬lity. International Journal of Bank Marketing, 39 (1), 189-208.
- Bagozzi, R., Batra, R. & Ahuvia, A. (2017). Brand love: Development and validation of a practical scale. Marketing Letters, 28 (1), 1-14.
- Bairrada, C. M., Coelho, F. & Coelho, A. (2018). Antecedents and outcomes of Brand love: utilitarian and symbolic Brand qualities. European Journal of Marketing, 52 (3/4), 656-682.
- Bairrada, C.M., Coelho, A., & Lizanets, V. (2019). The impact of brand personality on consumer behavior: The role of brand love. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 23 (1), 30-47.
- Batra, R., Ahuvia, A., & Bagozzi, R. P. (2012). Brand love. Journal of Marketing, 76 (2), 1-16.
- Burgess, J., & Jones, C. (2018). Media fans’ alignment with branding: a rich and under-explored research domain. The Journal of Business New Ideas and Trends, 16 (1), 1-15.
- Busser, J. A., & Shulga, L. V. (2019). Involvement in consumer-generated adver¬tising: effects of organizational transparency and brand authenticity on loyalty and trust. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31 (4), 1763-1784.
- Cambefort, M., & Roux, E. (2019). A typology of the perceived risks in the context of consumer brand resistance. Journal of Pro¬duct & Brand Management, 28/5 575–585.
- Carroll, B. A. & Ahuvia, A. C. (2006). Some antecedents and outcomes of brand Love. Marketing Letters, 17, 79-89.
- Chaudhuri, A. & Holbrook, M. B. (2002). Product-class effects on brand commitment and brand outcomes: the role of brand trust and brand effect. Journal of Brand Management, 10 No. 1, pp. 33-58.
- Cheung, M. L., Pires, G. D., & Rosenberger, P. J. (2019). Developing a conceptual model for examining social media marketing effects on brand awareness and brand image. International Journal of Economics and Business Research, 17 (3), 243-261.
- Cheung, M. L., Pires, G., & Rosenberger, P. J. (2020). The influence of perceived social media marketing elements on consumer–brand engagement and brand knowledge. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 32 (3), 695-72.
- Chen, J., Kou, G., Peng, Y., Chao, X., Xiao, F., & Alsaadi, F. E. (2020). Effect of marketing messages and consumer engagement on economic performance: Evidence from Weibo. Internet Research, 30 (o. 5), 1565-1581.
- Chen, B. (2021). When foreign brands appear local, and local brands seem foreign: The asymmetric effects of foreign branding in developing countries. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 33 (1), 145-161.
- Cho, E. & Hwang, J. (2020). Drivers of consumer-based brand equity: A two-country analysis of the perceived brand origin and identity expressiveness. Interna¬tional Marketing Review, 37 (2), 241-259.
- Clow, K. E., & Baack, D. (2018). Integrated advertising, promotion, and marketing com¬munications. Pearson Education: Harlow.
- Coelho, A., Bairrada, C., & Peres, F. (2019). Brand communities’ relational outcomes through brand love. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 28/2, 154–165.
- Corrêa, S. C. H., Soares, J. L. Christino, J. M. M., Gosling. M. S. & Gonçalves, C. A. (2020). The influence of YouTubers on followers’ use intention. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 14 (2), 173-194.
- Delgado-Ballester, E., Palazon, M., & Peláez, J. (2019). Anthropomorphized vs. objectified brands: which brand version is more loved? European Journal of Management and Business Economics, 29 (2), 150-165.
- De Vries, E. L. E., & Fennis, B. M. (2020). Go local or go global: how local brands promote buying impulsivity. International Marketing Review, 37(1), 1-28
- Drennan, J., Bianchi, C., Cacho-Elizondo, S., Louriero, S., Guibert, N., Proud, W. (2015). Examining the role of wine brand love on brand loyalty: A multi-country comparison. International Journal of Hospitality Mana¬gement, 49, 47–55.
- Dzulfaroh, A. N. (2021). 6 produk lokal yang dikira merek luar negeri. https://www.kompas.com/tren/read/2021/03/14/203500165/6-produk-lokal-yang-dikira-merek-luar-negeri?page=all.
- Ekarina (2020). Survei KIC: 87% Konsumen Lebih Suka Belanja Merek Dalam Negeri. https://katadata.co.id/ekarina/brand/5f97832e74050/survei-kic-87-konsumen-lebih-suka-belanja-merek-dalam-negeri.
- Fournier, S. (1998). Consumers and their brands: developing relationship theory in consumer research. Journal of Consumer Research, 24 (4), 343-353.
- Godey, B., Manthiou, A., Pederzoli, D., Rokka, J., Aiello, G., Donvito, R. & Singh, R. (2016). Social media marketing efforts of luxury brands: Influence on brand equity and consumer behavior. Journal of Business Research, 69 (2); 5833-5841.
- Hair, J. F. Jr., Hult, G. T., Ringle, C., & Sartedt, M. (2013). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS). Thousand Oaks: SAGE.
- Hall, A., Towers, N., & Shaw, D. R. (2017). Understanding how Millennial shoppers decide what to buy. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 45 (5), 498-517.
- Han, H., Yu, J., Chua, B.L., Lee, S., & Kim, W. (2019). Impact of core-product and service-encounter quality, attitude, image, trust and love on repurchase: Full-service vs. low-cost carriers in South Korea. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31 (4), 1588-1608.
- Hegner, S. M., Fenko, A., & Teravest, A. (2017). Using the theory of planned beha¬vior to understand brand love. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 26 (1), 26–41.
- Hegner, S. M., Fetscherin, M., & van Delzen, M. (2017). Determinants and outcomes of brand hate. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 26 (1), 13-25.
- Helal, G., Ozuem, W., & Lancaster, G. (2018). Social media brand perceptions of mille¬nnials. InternationalJournal of Retail and Distribution Management, 46 (10), 977-998.
- Holt, D. B. (2004). How brands become icons: The principles of cultural branding. Harvard business press.
- Hidayat, F. (2021). Survei Ipsos global trends 2021: Produk Lokal Dominasi Pilihan Konsumen Indonesia. https://www.beritasatu.com/ekonomi/863631/produk-lokal-dominasi-pilihan-konsumen-indonesia.
- Huber, F., Meyer, F., & Schmid, D. A. (2015). Brand love in progress – the interdepen¬dence of brand love antecedents in consideration of relationship duration. Journal of Product & Brand Management 24/6, 567-579.
- Huang, C. C. (2017). The impacts of brand experiences on brand loyalty: Mediators of brand love and trust. Management Decision, 55 (5), 915-934.
- Ismail, A. R. & Spinelli, G. (2012). Effects of brand love, personality, and image on word of mouth: The case of fashion brands among young consumers. Journal of Fashion Mar¬keting and Management, 16 (4), 386-398.
- Jian, Y., Zhou, Z., & Zhou, N. (2019). Brand cultural symbolism, brand authenticity, and consumer well-being: the moderating role of cultural involvement. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 28(4), 529–539.
- Junaid, M., Hou, F., Hussain, K., & Kirmani, A. A. (2019). Brand love: The emotional brid¬ge between experience and engagement, generation-M perspective. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 28 (2), 200-215.
- Kaufmann, H. R., Correia-Loureiro, S. M. & Manarioti, A. (2016). Exploring behavioral branding, brand love, and brand co-creation. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 25 (6), 516-526.
- Khan, M. L. (2017). Social media engagement: What motivates user participation and consumption on YouTube?, Computers in Human Behavior, 66, 236-247.
- Khandeparkar, K., & Motiani, M. (2018). Fake-love: Brand love for counterfeits. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 36 (6), 661-677.
- Khan, A., Mohammad, A. S., & Muhammad, S. (2021). An integrated model of brand experience and brand love for halal brands: Survey of halal fast food consumers in Malaysia. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 12 (8), 1492-1520.
- Khandeparkar, K., & Motiani, M. (2018). Fake-love: Brand love for counterfeits. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 36 (6), 661-677.
- Kim, A. J. & Ko, E. (2012). Do social media marketing activities enhance customer equity? An empirical study of luxury fashion brands. Journal of Business Research, 65 (10), 1480-1486.
- Kim, Y. J., Park, J. S. & Jeon, H. M. (2021). Experiential value, satisfaction, brand love, and brand loyalty toward robot barista coffee shop: The moderating effect of generation. Sustainability, 13, 12-29.
- Kubat, U. & Swaminathan, V. (2015). Crossing the cultural divide through bilingual advertising: the moderating role of Brand cultural symbolism. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 32 (4), 354-362.
- Langner, T., Bruns, D., Fischer,A. & Rossiter, J. R. (2016). Falling in love with brands: Adynamic analysis of the trajectories of brand love. Marketing Letter, 27:15–26.
- Le, M. T. H. (2021). The impact of brand love on brand loyalty: The moderating role of self-esteem, and social influences. Spanish Journal of Marketing -ESIC, 25 (1), 152-175.
- Maisam, S., & Mahsa, R. (2016). Positive word-of-mouth marketing: Explaining the roles of value congruity and brand love. Journal of Competitiveness, 8 (1), 19-37.
- Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy. (2021). Indonesia Menjadi Inisiator Tahun Internasional Ekonomi Kreatif Dunia. https://www.kemenparekraf.go.id/ragam-ekonomi-kreatif/Indonesia-Menjadi-Inisiator-Tahun-Internasional-Ekonomi-Kreatif-Dunia
- Moussa, S. (2019). An emoji-based metric for monitoring consumers’ emotions toward brands on social media. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 37(2):211-225.
- Mukherjee, K. (2020). Social media marketing and customers’ passion for brands. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 38 (4), 509-522.
- Muntinga, D. G., Moorman, M., & Smit, E. G. (2011). Introducing COBRAs: Exploring motivations for brand-related social media use. International Journal of Advertising, 30 (1), 13–46.
- Nelson, D. W., Moore, M. M., & Swanson, K. K. (2019). Fashion and social networking: A motivations framework. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 23 (4), 608-627.
- Nikhashemi, S., Jebarajakirthy, C., & Nusair, K. (2019). Uncovering the roles of retail brand experience and brand love in the apparel industry: A non-linear structural equation modeling approach. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 48, 122-135.
- Nyadzayo, M. W., Johnson, L. W., & Rossi, M. (2020). Drivers and outcomes of brand engagement in self-concept for luxury fashion brands. Journal of Fashion Market¬ing and Management: An International Journal, 24(4), 589-609.
- Özsomer, A. (2012). The interplay between global and local brands: a closer look at perceived brand globalness and local icon¬ness. Journal of International Marketing, 20 (2), 72-95.
- Palazon, M., Ballester, E. D., & Sicilia, M. (2019). Fostering brand love in Facebook brand pages. Online Information Review, 43 (5), 710-727.
- Pan, H., & Ha, Y. H. (2021). An empirical test of brand love and brand loyalty for restaurants during the COVID-19 era: A moderated moderation approach. Sustaina¬bility, 13, 9968.
- Perannagari, K. T., & Chakrabarti, S. (2020). Factors influencing acceptance of augment¬ed reality in retail: insights from thematic analysis. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 48 (1), 18-34.
- Pichler, E. A. & Hemetsberger, A. (2007). Hopelessly devoted to you: Towards an extended conceptualization of consumer devotion. Advances in Consumer Research, 34, 194-199.
- Pontinha, V. M., & Vale, R. C. (2020). Brand love measurement scale development: An inter-cultural analysis. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 29/4, 471–489.
- Ramadan, Z. B. (2019). Brand–brand relational moments. Journal of Brand Management, 26:705–716.
- Ramirez, R. H. & Merunka, D. (2019). Brand experience eﬀects on brand attachment: The role of brand trust, age, and income. European Business Review, 31 (5), 610-645.
- Rauschnabel, P.A., Ahuvia, A.C., Ivens, B.S. & Leischnig, A. (2015) The personality of brand lovers. In: M. Fetscherin and T.N. Heilmann (eds) Consumer-Brand Relation¬ships, 108–122. Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Rodrigues, C., & Rodrigues, P. (2019). Brand love matters to Millennials: The relevance of mystery, sensuality, and intimacy to neo-luxury brands. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 28(7), 830-848.
- Roy, P., Khandeparkar, K., & Motiani, M. (2016). A lovable personality: The effect of brand personality on brand love. Journal of Brand Management, 23, 97–113.
- Sandra, M. C. L., Tatjana, G., & Hans, R. K. (2017). Antecedents and outcomes of online brand engagement: The role of brand love on enhancing electronic word-of-mouth. Online Information Review, 41 (7), 985-1005.
- Sarkar, A., & Sarkar, J.G. (2016). Devoted to you my love Brand devotion amongst young consumers in the emerging Indian market. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 28 (2), 180-197.
- Sarkar, A., & Sarkar, J. G. (2017a). Sing Hosanna for the brands: the process of substituting religion with the brand. Society and Business Review, 12 (1), 33-45.
- Sarkar, A. & Sarkar, J.G. (2017b). Validating fashion brand centrality scale amongst young adults. Journal of Fashion and Mar¬keting and Management, 21(1), 133-156.
- Shee, B. A. V., Peltier, J., & Dahl, A. J. (2020). Antecedent consumer factors, consequential branding outcomes and measures of online consumer engagement: current research and future directions. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 14 (2), 239-268.
- Shimp, T. A., & Madden, T. J. (1988). Consumer-object relations: A conceptual framework based analogously on Stern-berg’s triangular theory of love. Advances in Consumer Research, 15 (1), 163-168.
- So, K. K. F., King, C., Sparks, B. A. & Wang, Y. (2013). The inﬂuence of customer brand identiﬁcation on hotel brand evaluation and loyalty development. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 34 (9), 31-41.
- Song, H., Bae, S. Y. & Han, H. (2019). Emotional comprehension of a name-brand coffee shop: focus on love marks theory. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31 (3), 1046-1065.
- Suarez, M. G., & Veloso, M. (2020). Brand experience and brand attachment as drivers of WOM in hospitality. Spanish Journal of Marketing ESIC, 24 (2), 231-246.
- Ting, D. H., Abbasi, A. Z. & Ahmed, S. (2020). Examining the mediating role of social interactivity between customer engagement and brand loyalty. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 33 (5), 1139-1158.
- Tolbert, S. J. L., & Gammoh, B. S. (2012). In good and bad times: The interpersonal nature of brand love in service relationships. Journal of Services Marketing, 26 (6), 391-402.
- Tran, T. P., Muldrow, A., & Ho, K. N. B. (2021). Understanding drivers of brand love-the role of personalized ads on social media. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 38(1), 1–14.
- Wallace, E., Buil, I., & de Chernatony, L. (2014). Consumer engagement with self-expressive brands: brand love and WOM outcome. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 23 (1), 33-42.
- Wang, C. L., Sarkar, J. G., & Sarkar, A. (2019). Hallowed be thy brand: Measuring perceived brand sacredness. European Journal of Marketing, 53 (4), 733-757.
- Wang, Y., Anderson, J., Joo, S. J., & Huscroft, J. (2020). The leniency of the return policy and consumer’s repurchase intention in online retailing. Industrial Management & Data System, 120 (1), 21-39.
- White, C., Tong, E., & Schwartz, M. (2020). From brands to classical music: Broadening and deepening a brand love prototype. Journal of Brand Management, 27, 227–236.
- Wibowo, A., Chen, S. C., Wiangin, U., Ma, Y., Ruankankanases. (2021). Customer beha¬vior as an outcome of social media market¬ing: The role of social media marketing activity and customer experience. Sustai¬nability, 13, 189.
- Wilk, V., Soutar, G.N. & Harrigan, P. (2020). Online brand advocacy (OBA): the develop¬ment of a multiple-item scale. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 29(4), 415–429
- Wisker, Z. L. (2020). Examining relationship quality in e-tailing experiences: A moderated mediated model. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 38 (7), 863-876.
- Wu, H. C. & Chang, Y. Y. (2019). What drives brand-supportive intentions? Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 37 (5), 497-512.
- Yadav, M. & Rahman, Z. (2017). Measuring consumer perception of social media marketing activities in e-commerce indus-try: Scale development & validation. Tele¬ma¬tics and Informatics, 34 (7), 1294-1307.
- Yrjola, M., Spence, M. T., & Saarijarvi, H. (2018). Omni-channel retailing: Proposi-tions, examples, and solutions. International Review of Retail Distribution and Consumer Research, 28 (3), 259-276.