Focus and Scope
The purpose of this journal publication is to disseminate the conceptual thoughts and ideas or research results that have been achieved in the area of library and information.
BIP (Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi), with registered number ISSN 1693-7740 (printed), ISSN 2477-0361 (on line) is a multidisciplinary journal in the national level that covered many main problems in the science of library and information discussion. Specifically, BIP focuses on the main problems in the development of the science of library and information areas as follows
- Theoretical and general aspects of libraries and information;
- Information use and sociology of information;
- Users, literacy and reading;
- Libraries as physical collections;
- Publishing and legal issues;
- Library Management;
- Industry, profession and education;
- Information sources, supports, channels;
- Information treatment for information services;
- Technical services in libraries, archives, museum;
- Housing technologies, and
- Information technology and library technology.
Peer Review Process
Every article that goes to the editorial staff will be selected through Initial Review processes by Editorial Board. Then, the articles will be sent to the Mitra Bebestari/ peer reviewer and will go to the next selection by Double Blind Peer Review Process. After that, the articles will be returned to the authors to revise. These processes take a month (four week) for a maximum time. In the each manuscript, Mitra Bebestari/ peer reviewer will be rated from the substantial and technical aspects. Mitra Bebestari/ peer reviewer that collaboration with Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi is the experts in the public administration area and issues around it. They were experienced in the prestigious journal management and publication that was spread around the national and abroad.
Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi published twice a year in two times issues, Number 1-2 are scheduled for publication: Juny and December
Review Process of Manuscript: Initial Review
- Read the abstract to be sure that you have the expertise to review the article. Don’t be afraid to say no to reviewing an article if there is the good reason.
- Read information provided by the journal for reviewers so you will know: a) The type of manuscript (e.g., a review article, technical note, original research) and the journal’s expectations/parameters for that type of manuscript.; b) Other journal requirements that the manuscript must meet (e.g., length, citation style).
- Know the journal’s scope and mission to make sure that the topic of the paper fits in the scope.
- Ready? Read through entire manuscript initially to see if the paper is worth publishing- only make a few notes about major problems if such exist: a) Is the question of interest sound and significant?; b) Was the design and/or method used adequately or fatally flawed? (for original research papers); c) Were the results substantial enough to consider publishable (or were only two or so variables presented or resulted so flawed as to render the paper unpublishable)?
- What is your initial impression? If the paper is: a) Acceptable with only minor comments/questions: solid, interesting, and new; sound methodology used; results were well presented; discussion well formulated with Interpretations based on sound science reasoning, etc., with only minor comments/questions, move directly to writing up review; b) Fatally flawed so you will have to reject it: move directly to writing up review; c) A mixture somewhere in the range of “revise and resubmit” to “accepted with major changes” or you’re unsure if it should be rejected yet or not: It may be a worthy paper, but there are major concerns that would need to be addressed.
Full Review Process of Manuscript
- Writing: Is the manuscript easy to follow, that is, has a logical progression and evident organisation?
- Is the manuscript concise and understandable? Any parts that should be reduced,
- Note if there are major problems with mechanics: grammar, punctuation, spelling. (If there are just a few places that aren’t worded well or correctly, make a note to tell the author the specific places. If there are consistent problems throughout, only select an example or two if need be- don’t try and edit the whole thing).
- Abbreviations: Used judiciously and are composed such that reader won’t have trouble remembering what an abbreviation represents.
- Follows style, format and other rules of the journal.
- Citations are provided when providing evidence-based information from outside sources.
Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi, established in 2003, is a registered journal with ISSN 1693-7740 (print) and ISSN 2477-0361 (online). It is a periodical journal managed by an journal management team of the Library of Universitas Gadjah Mada. Published twice a year, Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi focuses on the research process in library and information science, documentation, archives, as well as research findings and, where applicable, their practical applications and significance. Since its first publication, Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi has published up to volume 12. Since July 9, 2016, all volume can be accessed online. Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi is indexed by both national and international indexer institutions such as: Indonesian Scientific Journal Database (ISJD - National), Indonesian Publication Index (IPI - National), Directory Open Access Journals (DOAJ), EBSCO, Google Scholar, CrossRef (International), and Indonesia One Search (National) and several other indexer institutions.
Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi has been accredited as a scientific journal by the Ministry of Research-Technology and Higher Education Republic of Indonesia: 51/E/KPT/2017 PERIOD: 2017-2022.
Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi has made a major contribution in supporting the development of information and library science, bureaucratic reformation, good governance, and public policies in Indonesia. Starting from 2017, manuscript submission process and any other management process will be completely managed by an online system. The consequence of this full online process is there will be some publication delays and fewer articles. While in the previous volumes Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi published less than 10 articles, starting from 2017 Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi publishes a minimum 10 articles per volume. Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi follows a national standard of scientific journal and aims to expand the academic service to the international level.
During its publication, Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi has increased the number of article included in every volume. The current volume publishes 10 articles and this will remain the same in the future publication. The process of increasing the number of articles can be seen as follows: Volume 11, No 1, 2015 (5 articles), Volume 11, No 2, 2015 (7 articles), Volume 12, No 1, 2016 (9 articles), Volume 12, No 2, 2016 (10 articles), and Volume 13, No 1, 2017 (10 articles).
Previously, Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi Volume 1 Issue 1 Year 2003 until Volume 15 Issue 2 Year 2019 were published in old website here: https://jurnal.ugm.ac.id/bip/issue/archive
Started from Volume 16 Issue 1 Year 2020, Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi has been published in new website here: https://journal.ugm.ac.id/v3/BIP
Berkala Ilmu Perpustakaan dan Informasi has been accredited by the Directorate General of Research and Development of the Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education, the Republic of Indonesia from time to time since the first publication on 2003.
- 2018 - Accredited 1st SK No. 30/E/KPT/2018 valid until 2021